- Bans the sale, transfer, importation, or manufacturing of:
- 120 specifically-named firearms
- Certain other semiautomatic rifles, handguns, shotguns that can accept a detachable magazine and have one military characteristic
- Semiautomatic rifles and handguns with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds
- Strengthens the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban and various state bans by:
- Moving from a 2-characteristic test to a 1-characteristic test
- Eliminating the easy-to-remove bayonet mounts and flash suppressors from the characteristics test
- Banning firearms with “thumbhole stocks” and “bullet buttons” to address attempts to “work around” prior bans
- Bans large-capacity ammunition feeding devices capable of accepting more than 10 rounds.
- Protects legitimate hunters and the rights of existing gun owners by:
- Grandfathering weapons legally possessed on the date of enactment
- Exempting over 900 specifically-named weapons used for hunting or sporting purposes and
- Exempting antique, manually-operated, and permanently disabled weapons
- Requires that grandfathered weapons be registered under the National Firearms Act, to include:
- Background check of owner and any transferee;
- Type and serial number of the firearm;
- Positive identification, including photograph and fingerprint;
- Certification from local law enforcement of identity and that possession would not violate State or local law; and
- Dedicated funding for ATF to implement registration
That means every semi-auto firearm with a magazine will be treated like a machinegun, requiring a $200 tax stamp. Every AR series rifle, which has been the biggest selling rifle in the last decade, will have to be registered as a machinegun. It also means that virtually every medium or full-frame handgun that holds 10+ rounds will be treated the same – which means most defensive handguns across the country.
Registration is a prelude to confiscation and disarmament, and those a prelude to far worse things.
A reminder of why registration is very, very bad for freedom in general.
Update: From Guns Save Lives – Why ANY Potential Weapons Ban Will Affect You
What do you think is going to happen once all of the semi-autos are more or less gone? Are crazy people going to stop killing other innocent people? No, they’re just going to change weapons. They are going to use lever action rifles and revolvers. THEN they will be coming after your hunting rifles, your bird shotguns, your target shooting guns, and the revolver you keep in your nightstand to make sure you can keep your family safe if evil kicks in your door at 3am.
Rest assured, when there are no more evil “assault weapons” to blame for senseless violence of crazy people your weapons will be next.