Update: Rally was postponed. There was a huge influx of 2A supporters who started going after them on Facebook and registering for seats and free meals. Protesters for citizens’ rights don’t get free rides paid for by BarackObama.com/Organizing for America, but they decided to use the political machine to their advantage, stymying it for now.
Update 2: The NY Post was given other reasons by SEIU for why it was cancelled… which don’t quite jive with the story on FB.
ALBANY LOBBYING FOR “NY SAFE ACT” (Day of Action)
Governor Cuomo and our legislature passed the “NY SAFE ACT.” It will reduce gun violence in our state. Predictably, it is under attack by the National Rifle Association and allied groups. :::We are joining with the SEIU 1199 to lobby in Albany. This free bus trip will last from 8:00 to 4:30 with breakfast and lunch included. Meet up at 250 S Clinton St. Park in the M Lot at the corner of W Fayette and S Clinton Sts. (Parking in that lot may be validated. No sure yet.) Show your determination to keep our excellent new law!:::You must call this number to get a seat on the free bus. 315-424-1743 Ext 110 Ask for Nekeia:::Also sign up here.
Thursday, February 28, 2013 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
1199 SEIU Office (Syracuse, NY)
250 S Clinton St.
Syracuse, NY 13202
Please google 250 S CLinton St, Syracuse, 13202
The NY SAFE Act is detailed here at American Thinker as “the rape of the Second Amendment”. Keep in mind this is the same act that NY State Assemblyman Steve McLaughlin exposed as part of a confiscation scheme, and the same law that was rushed through in the dark of night so quickly that even NY cops are violating the law by carrying their service weapons. The anti-rights forces so hate that citizens have rights that they didn’t even stop to carve out an exception for the state’s enforcers.
The text of the New York bill can be found here. But a quick summary would be this on ammo:
- All ammunition purchases have to be through an FFL
- Ban on internet ammunition purchase
- Background checks for all ammo purchases
- All sales of ammo to be reported to police
And this on guns:
- Ban on magazines that hold more than 10 rounds made before 1994
- Ban on magazines that can hold more than 7 rounds
- “Grandfathered” 10 round magazines cannot be loaded with more than 7 rounds – or face charges
- Registration for all “assault weapons”
- Registration for all handguns
- Registration required every five years
- Mental health reporting which is to be checked against a non-existent database on citizens
- One-feature test for “assault weapons” (no detachable magazines, no pistol grips, no threaded barrels – as written includes adjustable choke shotguns)
- Bushmaster AR banned by name
Also, “assault weapon” possession in NY is now a Class B felony. Possession of an actual machinegun is only a third degree Class D felony. An evil scary non-machinegun can get you 25 years. A real machinegun can get you 7.
This draconian near-total ban (and it’s only a step to a total ban) is being supported by the President’s “Organizing For Action” perpetual campaign machine and the SEIU with their professional agitators.
The president’s own apparatus is actively lobbying to destroy the Constitutionally-enumerated natural right to keep and bear arms; almost as if we now have an institutional revolutionary party. Sounds familiar.